Thursday, October 11, 2012

Senses.. Up-close and Personal- Michaela Davies



The theme I have chosen for the photo essay is ‘senses’ with the sub theme of ‘up close and personal’. My idea of senses relates to Murrays concepts of amateur photography and everyday aesthetics in that senses are a necessity in everyday life that are disregarded or unappreciated by the everyday individual.

I have focused on all five senses by using extreme close-ups in order to utilise the hidden, less obvious features of the five senses, which brings in to play my sub-theme ‘up-close and personal’. To incorporate artistic elements I have used the same “effects” theme in iphoto and the available “video adjustments” on ‘imovie’ and applied them consistently through out my movie. The vigerette theme has allowed my images to share common aesthetics that is metaphorical for the way in which all work in conjunction in everyday life.

Each sense has a series of 4-5 different photos exploring a different angle to that specific sense. To capture these I have used a cannon digital SLR camera to which allows me to take quality macro images. I have also photographed a range of people to widen the spectrum of how senses are experienced from person to person. The eye, ear, mouth, nose and skin are only partially what construct a sense, so I have photographed elements that react to the senses.

The music I have chosen is ‘Slow Motion Strut Version Two’ courtesy of Dexter Britain. This easy listening tune, I believe, was the most appropriate music (with a retro crackle) in order to compliment the images in a way that the viewer can appreciate the visual more with just the assistance of the music.


By Michaela Davies

No comments: